Golf at Sunkist

Golf Experience

With the vision and diligence of William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley (1881-1963), Joseph V. Lawrence (1902-1975) and Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990), the Sunkist Country Club came to fruition shortly after the completion of the new Popp’s Ferry Bridge. This eighteen-hole golf links is situated north of Popp’s Ferry Road. Sunkist Country Club was incorporated in Harrison County, Mississippi in June 1953 by Ashton C. Barrett, William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley, Robert R. Buntin (1895-1966), and Victor B. Pringle (1909-1977).

Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990) and Virginia Anderson Barrett (1904-1997) sold two parcels of land totaling 128-acres north of Popp’s Ferry Road to William E. ‘Bill’ Beasley (1881-1963), president of Golf Course Incorporated, in July 1953.

The Biloxi Country Club, which would shortly be renamed the Sunkist Country Club, announced plans to build its clubhouse in late December through the sale of bonds at $300 each.. The $90,000 structure was designed by John T. Collins, Biloxi architect. The dimensions of the building were planned as: 162 feet by 36 feet. Officers of the club at this time were: William E. Beasley, President; Robert R. Buntin, Vice President; Giles Peresich, Treasurer; and Lee Kostmayer, Secretary. Board of Directors: Joseph V. Lawrence; Glen Swetman; Vernon B. Pringle; Earl C. Nolan; and Anson Holley Jr; Arthur V. Hays; Ashton Barrett; and H.C. Thompson.

In February 1954, Golf Course Incorporated sold the golf course situated on about 120-acres to Sunkist Country Club Incorporated. Mr. Beasley also gave a five-year lease to the Sunkist Country Club on 8.8-acres where the country club house was situated.

In May 1953, W.E. Beasley, the course developer, Marcel ‘Mickey’ Bellande (1909-1982), Joseph ‘Joe’ V. Lawrence (1902-1975), and Giles H. Peresich (1918-1985) were the first foursome to tee off on the Sunkist links. The formal opening came in late October 1953, when over six hundred members and guests were present at the culmination of four days of initial club activities. Ashton C. Barrett (1901-1990) presented William E. Beasley, the Father of Sunkist Country Club, a plaque and portrait of himself to be hung in the clubhouse. Mr. Beasley conceived the idea for the private golf club and had worked the past two years for its completion. His portrait remains in the clubhouse bar & grill until this day.

Frank I. Steidle (1915-2007), the first golf professional at the club shot a 64 in November 1957 to break the initial course record.

The Sunkist Country Club was reorganized in July 1967 by Elton Pitts, James B. Rouse, Charles A. Gillis, George Altbach, Fred Huebner, A.J. Ingrassia, Alton L. Bellande (1912-1970), James C. Brashier, Jennings Camet, Roswell Kimball, Robert Parrish, and Dr. James Smith.

Holes 1-9

Swipe left to view more.

Blue (69.2/125)
White (68.3/121)
Gold (M:64.9/109 W:69.9/110)
Par
Men's HDCP
Ladies' HDCP
Red (M:63.7/106 W:68.6/107)
Silver (M:59.8/97 W:61.5/95)
Hole 1
380
365
317
4
5
5
309
277
Hole 2
355
342
297
4
9
7
290
258
Hole 3
191
175
140
3
13
17
131
105
Hole 4
388
375
341
4
1
1
320
278
Hole 5
362
350
304
4
11
9
299
192
Hole 6
485
470
388
5
15
13
385
277
Hole 7
165
152
143
3
17
15
135
101
Hole 8
497
483
431
5
7
11
421
307
Hole 9
380
375
321
4
3
3
313
243
Out
3203
3087
2682
36
2603
2038

Holes 10-18

Swipe left to view more.

Blue (69.2/125)
White (68.3/121)
Gold (M:64.9/109 W:69.9/110)
Par
Men's HDCP
Ladies' HDCP
Red (M:63.7/106 W:68.6/107)
Silver (M:59.8/97 W:61.5/95)
Hole 10
345
333
304
4
8
6
281
251
Hole 11
125
115
107
3
16
16
102
102
Hole 12
360
345
310
4
2
2
290
163
Hole 13
372
343
304
4
14
10
299
186
Hole 14
124
111
106
3
18
18
82
64
Hole 15
492
485
404
5
10
14
403
314
Hole 16
380
370
321
4
6
8
315
237
Hole 17
394
377
324
4
4
4
321
217
Hole 18
490
463
423
5
12
12
417
295
In
3082
2942
2603
36
2510
3867
TOTAL
6285
6029
5285
72
5113
3867
sunkist-country-club-logo-white

2381 Sunkist Country Club Rd
Biloxi, Mississippi 39532
Phone (228) 388-3961
gm@sunkistcc.com